Best WordPress Realtime Backup Plugin Tools – Pros and Cons
With the increasing number of WooCommerce sites being built every day, especially after the pandemic, the demand for specialized WooCommerce hosting and real-time backups has also increased.
If you run a successful e-commerce business, your website is probably the most valuable asset to your business. A successful site will allow you to attract more buyers, increase your conversions and generate higher income.
Now imagine if your e-commerce site stopped working for just a few hours! This could end up losing valuable e-commerce data such as product listings, customer records, customer orders, shipping details and much more. Additionally, you could lose online customers as well as customer trust. Therefore, it may cause you to pay a lot more money to try to restore the critical data that you have lost.
What’s the best way to make sure you won’t be in this horrible situation?
A real-time backup tool is mainly what you need, not just a regular backup. Compared to other websites, an e-commerce website undergoes a significant number of changes daily. These changes can take the form of customer orders, payment transactions, shipping details, product additions (or deletions), and many other operations. This results in the generation of real-time data volumes almost every hour, if not every minute.
A regular backup tool is designed for fixed backups scheduled at fixed intervals (for example, weekly or daily or hourly). But when it comes to backing up real-time data generated by e-commerce websites, regular backups can miss the latest website changes.
An e-commerce site needs this type of backup solution because it automatically triggers a backup with each modification made on the site.
This ensures that you don’t lose any vital information if and when you need to restore your site.
How to choose the right WordPress backup plugin tool for your website?
Here are some of the essentials every WordPress backup tool should have:
- Full Backup: A backup tool should take a backup of all your website files/folders and database tables. A backup should include WordPress files, installed plugin/theme files, web pages, website settings, and user comments.
- Incremental Backups: Website backups can be a very data-intensive process because most websites contain large amounts of data. Real-time backups can be even more data-intensive because they are run whenever a file changes. Incremental backups reduce backup load by only syncing changed files and folders in small, manageable chunks. This ensures that not all website data is backed up every time, but only includes components that have changed.
- Offsite backup storage: With an effective backup process, backup data should be stored in a safe, independent location. It can be easily retrieved and restored whenever needed. Storing your e-commerce data on your web server is not a good idea as it can reduce the storage space available on your server. Therefore, an offsite cloud-based storage location is the ideal alternative.
- Multiple backup versions with encrypted data: WordPress backup tools create and store various backup versions, each with a timestamp. You can select the backup version you want to restore to your website when restoring. Additionally, the backup data is securely encrypted so that online hackers cannot access it.
- Real-time backups: And last (but not least), backup tools offer real-time backups where every file and database change is tracked and synchronized (via incremental backups) with the main backup version .
Which is the best free or paid backup plugin?
When evaluating free or paid plugins, check the following parameters:
- Are they easy to install and use, even for non-technical WordPress users?
- Do they offer automated backups (otherwise, what’s the point of using a tool)?
- Do they provide full backup of website files and database records?
- Is customer support included in the package or do you have to pay separately for it?
If you want a reliable solution, you can go with a paid solution – it’s a reasonable price to pay for the benefits they have to offer.
Best WordPress backup plugins – the pros and cons of each tool
Here is a detailed comparison of the top five WordPress backup plugins and how they work. Although some of them offer a free version, these plugins are mostly paid plugins.
It is a comprehensive backup tool that offers on-demand, scheduled, and real-time backups. Over 400,000 WordPress websites (including WP Mayor) trust it. The plugin tool is easy to install and use with its 1-click backup feature. Some of its real-time backup benefits include:
- Centralized dashboard for performing website backups and restores
- Snapshots based on triggers
- Access to 365 days of backup history
- The entire backup process is performed on dedicated BlogVault servers, ensuring that your web servers are not overloaded
- Hook-based listening is effective for tracking website changes
Benefits of BlogVault:
- Incremental backups
- Offsite backup storage with data encryption
- Website migration and staging
- Efficient customer support
Cons of BlogVault:
- Doesn’t offer a free version
Basic paid plan from $7.4 per month
It is a real-time backup and analysis tool designed and built by Automattic, a company that operates millions of WordPress websites on WordPress.com. Bundled with the popular JetPack plugin, the VaultPress tool can be used for both backup and malware protection. Some of its real-time backup benefits include:
- Calendar view that lets you monitor real-time activity on your website
- A centralized dashboard that lets you perform backups and malware scans
- Full backup of all website data including posts, user comments, media files and dashboard settings
Benefits of VaultPress:
- Malware backup and scan feature
- Access to 30-day backup archive
- Website downtime monitoring and notification
- Easy website migration
Cons of VaultPress:
- Not available with the free version of the JetPack plugin
- Slow website performance
Premium plans are priced at $3.50 per month
3. Backup Buddy
It is the first WordPress backup plugin released in 2010. With backups of over half a million WordPress websites, BackupBuddy offers a comprehensive package including website backups, restores and migrations. Some of the tool’s features include:
The option of scheduled and real-time website backups
- Complete backup of all website files including web pages, posts, user comments, dashboard widgets, images, plugins, themes, etc.
- Active tracking of website changes in real time
- Takes a snapshot of your entire website
- Safe and secure offsite backup storage
- Quick and easy backup restores
Advantages of BackupBuddy:
- Backing up website and database files
- Allows creation and download of a backup zip file
- Website management of 10 WordPress websites available with a premium subscription
Cons of BackupBuddy:
- Most Expensive Among WordPress Backup Plugins
- Slower website speeds
One-year subscription plans are priced at $52 (for one website) and $129 (for unlimited websites).
Other backup tools
BlogVault, VaultPress, and BackupBuddy are premium tools that offer real-time backups for WooCommerce stores. But if you prefer to opt for free tools, read on about UpdraftPlus & BackWPup which offer regular backups.
With over 2 million website installations, UpdraftPlus is among the most trusted backup solutions in the world. Along with a user-friendly interface, it directly uploads your backup data to cloud-based platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, and Amazon S3. Some of its backup features include:
- Supports more cloud-based storage platforms than other backup tools
- Supports automated and real-time backups
- Faster and less used server resources
Benefits of UpdraftPlus:
- Cloning and migration
- Allows you to select WordPress files to backup
- Has a free and paid version
Disadvantages of UpdraftPlus:
- Priority customer support available only to premium customers
Premium plans start from $70
With over 8 million downloads, BackWPup is a popular WordPress backup plugin that can create a backup of your entire WordPress installation. Like UpdraftPlus, BackWPup stores your backup data on external platforms like Dropbox and Amazon S3. Some of its backup features include:
- Full Backup of WordPress Files and Database
- User-friendly dashboard for novice WordPress users
- Offers free and paid versions
- Available with multisite support
Advantages of BackWPup:
- Complete backup and restore of files and database
- Easy administration of backup archives
- Encrypted backup archives
Cons of BackWPup:
- The high price of the premium version
Premium plan from $69
With the growing number of WooCommerce websites being created every day, not all backup services offer a real-time backup solution. Despite the fact that you have a limited number of solutions, the tools above offer quite comprehensive functionality and you can rely on them to effectively safeguard your eCommerce website.